Thursday, April 16, 2015

The digital dilemma

Recently my Samsung android phone crashed. As the last attempt, I tried to do some administrative stuff on the phone, and that made the phone to eternally rest in peace. Or, in more technical terms, it 'bricked' the phone.

Then I realized an important thing. All my photos, videos that I took for the last couple of years, have I lost everything? I knew that it was all in my micro SD card, but what if the card got corrupted as part of this tragedy? I bought a new phone, and holding my breath, I put the SD card in and checked if I could view the contents. Argh, as I feared, I couldn't read any of the contents!!

I regretted that I hadn't taken a data backup of the card to 'Google drive' or the hundreds of backup tools out there. I have lost all the photos and videos of my near ones forever. How much agony a little carelessness can bring to us. Bad fate. I couldn't help not to think about my loss.

After contemplating about it for a while, some other thoughts came to me. All this 'ever accessible' digital camera in phones have come to the market just a few years back. Before that, we anyway didn't use to take so many photos. After all, how many times are we going to see these photos and videos again? Some of them, hardly one or two times in our lives. A majority of these, we may never watch again. So, it is not really that big of a loss. All those dear ones whose photos I have in my phone, are still very much alive. How much have these gadgets and social media oriented us towards these digital entities, and ultimately we engage too much in the digital world, and stop seeing the real lives around us. Suddenly I felt a lot relieved.

I tried a last attempt to recover the data by connecting the data card into my PC. Fortunately (or rather unfortunately), it worked -;)

No comments:

Post a Comment